Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Optimus Prime

Today I am 12 weeks and 5 days pregnant!! Sometimes I feel like time is flying and all I can think about is the getting to the next milestone in my pregnancy. Other days time seems to drag and I'm appreciative because there is so much to do before our little one arrives. This week we had a big decision to make. Do we or don't we go for the Nuchal Translucency screening test. The purpose is to measure your baby's risk for the possibility of Down's Syndrome and few other chromosomal disorders. The test consists of a high powered ultra-sound and some accompanying blood work. I never really considered myself high risk for chromosomal disorders but I didn't want to pass up an ultra sound where we might be able to find out or get an idea of the baby's gender. We had a few reservations about the test only because we knew people that had tested with false positives and therefore worried over nothing. In the end...we decided to do it!!! If our baby really did have one of these disorders I would want to know so I could prepare.

The doctor I have been seeing has 2 offices. Once in Mesa and one in Ahwatukee. I had been to the Mesa office because it was slightly closer but the high tech ultra sound machine was located in Ahwatukee. Let's just say that from now on I will be traveling to the Tuke because that office is so so nice!!! We went straight back to the ultra sound room and there was a big flat screen tv on the wall that they use as the monitor. The tech nurse was the sweetest lady ever!! She kept telling us how cute our baby was:) And of course we agreed. We saw its cute little hands and toes, arms and legs and of course we just thought everything was amazing:) Well, the baby was not in the needed position so after measuring our baby (7 cm) and taking a look around she told me to lay on my side which might get the baby to move. So I did that but baby wasn't budging. So the next tactic was to drink some grape juice. Well that did the trick. As soon as I drank the juice the baby started fidgeting around and even got the hiccups. It was about the darn cutest thing I have ever seen. It will be amazing when I actually get to feel those hiccups. So, once the baby was in position she was able to measure the spot on its neck and it measured way below 2 mm which is great!!! So without the bloodwork we are assuming that all is good. Our little one seems to be right on track with where it needs to be!!

The nurse who thought our baby was so cute kept printing pictures for us so we left with about 10 different shots. Here is a profile shot that I just love!! Such a sweet little baby!!!!

This next picture shows a side of our baby I wasn't expecting...

Ummm, does anyone else see the resemblance? Yes, my baby looks like a TRANSFORMER!!! That is ok, it is the cutest darn transformer I have ever seen:)

So did we get to find out the gender?? Nope!!! Little one had its legs crossed the entire time!!! I was a little disappointed but what are you going to do! We will have to wait about 6 more weeks to find out if we will be buying pink or blue! In the meantime I am going to be holding pencils and rings over my belly and spitting on crystal Draino to see what the universe is telling me. The Chinese conception chart tells me it is a girl. My mom is telling me it is a boy. The Intelligender kit that I bought at Walgreens...well it was confused...which is my fault because I forgot to check the results after 1o minutes. I know there is no full proof guesstimator but it is fun to speculate!

9 comments:

Tom & Angie Judd said...

So cute! I have a alien transformer looking picture of Xander too! I love it. :)
As far as gender...it's so early that you could really get a false reading (on an ultrasound). With Ry I had an ultrasound at 15 weeks and the tech swore it was a girl...but 5 weeks later it was VERY obvious that he was a boy! So....just saying....you never can be for sure until a little later! I'm soooo excited to find out what you are having! :)

The Pullins said...

Very cute! As for the gender, ask Travis, he is 20 for 20 in predicting the sex of the baby. It's a little scary.

The Jacksons said...

My baby looked like Skeletor from He-man. Don't worry, they end up so cute!

Rachel said...

Hee hee. I love the freaky phase. Elizabeth looked like the love child of ET and Hitler in several of her ultrasound photos. When Me-jo gets bigger, I highly recommend the 3D ultrasounds. They are dang amazing and you get a DVD to keep. Weirdly the word verificatio nis "elizz". It's like blogger knew...

Kami said...

We always said ours looked like Skelator too. Lunch was so fun! Can't wait for next time.

Emily said...

Melissa, that is the cutest little Transformer ever! Seriously so happy for you and love hearing all about the fun you guys are having! Lots of Love!

BrowningFour said...

CONGRATULATIONS YOU TWO!!!! We're so happy and excited that a new little one will be joining the family! You'll be amazing parents!

My 'baby' is graduating next month and will be looking for a job as an ultrasound tech. Taylor is completing her internships at the Heart Institute in Fort Lauderdale, and an OB here in Wellington. If you come to Florida, she can ultrasound you to your heart's content!

We'll be anxious to hear whether your precious little one is sugar & spice or snips & snails & puppy-dog tails! :)

Much love - Pam

kellyballard said...

you can't know how happy we are for you!!!

Elise Padigimus said...

I'm so excited for you!!!! Having a baby is the most amazing blessing in this world! I love every day of being a mom! You will be an awesome mommy ;)